Mount Meru Trekking Itineraries; Overview
Our Mount Meru trekking itineraries are arranged to provide you with trekking options of 2, 3, or 4 days. Mount Meru is in the heart of Arusha National Park, about 80km west of Mount Kilimanjaro. Reaching an altitude of 4,566 meters (14,980 feet), Mount Meru is a massive volcano. It’s the second-highest mountain in Tanzania and the fourth in Africa. And only about 32km (20 miles) from Arusha City to Momella Gate, where the trek begins.
Climbing Mount Meru is the perfect fit for acclimatization before climbing Mount Kilimanjaro due to its altitude acclimatization and hiking distances. This trek is also for hikers who prefer fewer crowds and a less challenging ascent.
Due to the wide range of animals living on the mountain, hikers must climb with an armed ranger. On the lower slopes of the mountain, hikers are more likely to see Elephants, Giraffes, Buffaloes, and Warthogs. As well, Black and white Colobus-Monkeys, Blue Monkeys, and sometimes the shy antelopes like Bushbucks, Suni, and Red duikers. Also, some colorful birds like Hartlaub’s Turacos, Trogons, Silvery-cheeked Hornbills, etc!
As hikers continue their ascents, the trail follows the north rim of the volcano of the crater along a beautiful ridgeline. Hikers reach the summit as the sun is rising. And they will have very attractive views of Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru Crater.
Throughout the climb, hikers sleep in the National Park’s huts along the trail.
Mount Meru Trekking Itineraries; Momella Route Summary details
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Duration: 2 days/1 night; 3 days/2 nights or 4 days/3 nights
- Accommodation: In comfortable mountain huts on wood-bunk beds with thick foam mattresses covered with sheets. Note that you will need a sleeping bag! Please, bring one with you or ask us to arrange it for you at a low cost.
- The huts are with solar system lights.
- The meals will be in the dining halls.
- Bathrooms with cold showers
- Clean flush toilets