The Overview and the Detailed Itinerary for 2 days Kilimanjaro Trekking/Hike
This 2 days Kilimanjaro trek, will give you an opportunity to hike on the Marangu Route and stay one night at Mandara Huts, 2720m. The day after you will wake up early in the Morning and walk towards Horombo Hut before returning to Mandara for lunch and then hiking back. Because you have only 2 days, will not be enough for you to reach the summit. Hikers who want to get to the Top they take at least 5 or 6 days.
All short treks are offered on a private basis, and you can start on any day of the year. The short treks are geared for people who like to hike but reaching the summit is not a “must do”, and allow one to experience the excitement of hiking on the highest peak on the African continent.
All trekking inside of the Tanzania National Park require the services of a certified Kilimanjaro guide, and the Marangu route is the only route where short treks are allowed. For an overnight hike you will stay at the park huts.
Route Summary based on this 2 days Kilimanjaro trek
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Duration: 2 days
- Accommodation: In comfortable mountain huts on wood-bunk beds with thick foam mattresses covered with sheets. Note that a sleeping bag is missing here!
- The huts are fitted with solar system lights
- Meals are served in dining halls
- Bathrooms with cold showers
- Clean flush toilets
The Detailed Itinerary for the 2 days Kilimanjaro trek
Day 1: Marangu Gate (1,970m) to Mandara Huts (2,720m) for overnight
After breakfast at your hotel/lodge, you will meet your guide, drive to the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate (about 3 hours), register and commence the climb.
You will walk through the rainforest to the Mandara huts. A side trip to Maundi Crater is a good way to see the surroundings including Northern Tanzania and Kenya. In the rainforest, look for towering trees, bird life, and Colobus monkeys.
- Elevation: 1,970m to 2,720m
- Hiking distance: 7 km
- Hiking time: 3 – 4 hours
- Habitat: Montane Forest
- Meals: Lunch, Diner
- Budget Lodging: Mandara Hut
Day 2: Hike from Mandra Hut (2,720m) towards Horombo then down to park gate and return to Aruha
You leave the glades of the rainforest and follow an ascending path on the open moorlands towards the Horombo huts. Views of Mawenzi and the summit of Kibo are amazing. Look for giant lobelias and grounsels. After lunch at Mandara, hike back to the park gate and drive back to Arusha (about 3 hour).
- Elevation: 2,720m to somewhere lower than 3,720m
- Hiking distance: about 5 km and 12km down via Mandara Huts to Marangu Gate
- Hiking time: 3 – 4 hours up / and 5 – 6 hours more down via Mandara Huts to Marangu Gate
- Habitat: Heath-land/Moorland/Montane Forest
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
The Inclusions and Exclusions to the 2 Days Kilimanjaro Trek/Hike
- Transport from Arusha/Moshi to starting point on mountain and return to Arusha/Moshi
- National Park entry fees
- Certified, experienced, English-speaking guide, a cook and 3 porters. (Note that this number of crew is applicable only for one individual hiker!)
- Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
- Tips for guide, cook and porters
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation and meals in Arusha
- Personal expenses (visas, airport taxes, etc.)
The Trekking Gear on the 2 Days Kilimanjaro Trek
For the Head
Sun Hat, Sunglasses, Sunscreen (SPF 25+), Lip Balm (SPF 25+)
Clothes (No Cotton)
Wool or synthetic layer (1 piece), a T-shirt, a long or short-sleeved shirt, Wool or fleece sweater, Wind/Water-proof jacket, Convertible hiking pants, Water-Proof Pants.
For the Feet
Thin sock liners (1 pair), Wool hiking socks (2 pairs), Good- broken-in hiking boots or light boots, Gaiters (optional), Tennis shoes or sandals (for camp)
Zero degrees sleeping bag, Inflatable pillow (optional)
Day pack (no larger than 2,200cu), Water bladder 100oz/3ltr, Rain cover for the pack, Walking pole/s (optional),
Toiletries, Small first aid kit, Small towel, Wet wipes, Camera, Bug spray, Malaria pills, Flashlight/torch, Batteries, Cash for tipping, etc