The Overview of 2 Days Mount Meru Trekking Climb
The 2 days Mount Meru trekking climb is an option of 3 and 4 days itineraries, in the heart of Arusha National Park, about 80km west of Mount Kilimanjaro. Reaching an altitude of 4,566 meters (14,980 feet), Mount Meru is a massive volcano. It’s the second-highest mountain in Tanzania and the fourth in Africa. And only about 32km (20 miles) from Arusha City to Momella Gate, where the trek begins.
Climbing Mount Meru is the perfect fit for acclimatization before climbing Mount Kilimanjaro due to its altitude acclimatization and hiking distances. This trek is also for hikers who prefer fewer crowds and a less challenging ascent.
What Hikers are Likely to See on 2 Days Mount Meru Trekking Climb
Due to the wide range of animals living on the mountain, hikers must climb with an armed ranger. On the lower slopes of the mountain, hikers are more likely to see Elephants, Giraffes, Buffaloes, and Warthogs. As well, Black and white Colobus-Monkeys, Blue Monkeys, and sometimes the shy antelopes like Bushbucks, Suni, and Red duikers. Also, some colorful birds like Hartlaub’s Turacos, Trogons, Silvery-cheeked Hornbills, etc!
As hikers continue their ascents, the trail follows the north rim of the volcano of the crater along a beautiful ridgeline. Hikers reach the summit as the sun is rising. And they will have very attractive views of Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru Crater.
Throughout the climb, hikers sleep in the National Park’s huts along the trail.
Momella Route Summary details
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trekking Duration: 2 days/1 night
- Type of Accommodation: In comfortable mountain huts on wood-bunk beds with thick foam mattresses covered with sheets. Note that you will need a sleeping bag! Please, bring one with you or ask us to arrange it for you at a low cost.
- The huts are with solar system lights.
- The meals will be in the dining halls.
- Bathrooms with cold showers
- Clean flush toilets
Please, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our current prices and more information about the trips!
The Itinerary for 2 Days Mount Meru Trekking Climb
Day 1: Momella Gate (1,500m) – Miriakamba Hut (2,500m)
A description of the hike today
- Elevation; 1,500m/4,921ft. to 2,500m/8,202ft.; (1,000m ascent)
- Hiking distance; 10 km
- Hiking time; 4 – 5 hours
- Habitat; Mountain Forest
- Meals; Lunch, Dinner
- Budget Lodging; Miriakamba Hut
After a short registration at the Momella Gate, our walk will begin with a full-armed ranger escorting us on our hike. While on this walk, we expect to see wild animals like zebras, giraffes, monkeys, antelopes, and often, elephants along the route. Dinner and overnight night will be at Miriakamba Hut.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2,500m) to Momella Gate (1,500 m)
A description of the hike today
- Elevation: 2,500m/8,202 ft. to 1,500m/4,921 ft. (1,000m descent)
- Hiking distance: 10 km descent
- Hiking time: 2 – 3 hours ascent to park gate
- Habitat: Mountain (Montane) forest
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
After breakfast, you will begin your final descent to Momella gate. You will be using the southern route to descend. On our descent, we will pass through the montane forest, where we will pass by an attractive Fig Tree Arch. Upon arrival at the Momella gate, you will be picked up and transferred to your hotel in Arusha.
Note. Fortunately, on this 2-day hike, the hikers may choose to proceed with the game viewing drive within the park upon the descent until 5.30 pm for a little extra charge per person before heading back to Arusha or Moshi.
Please, let us know in advance if this is an additional tour of yours so that the costs can be inclusive!
Please, contact us at email@example.com for our current prices and more information about this trip!
The 2 Days Mount Meru Trekking Climb Inclusions and Exclusions
- Transfers – to and from Momella Gate back to your hotel/lodge in Arusha
- All national park fees – entry fee, hut fee, rescue fee, armed park ranger fee
- All national park fees for the crew – guides, porters, and a cook
- Certified, experienced, English-speaking guides
- Salaries for the guide/s, porters, and cook/s
- All meals on the mountain – Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Filtered water throughout the trek
- Cooking equipment and eating utensils
- All government taxes, including 18% VAT
- Arusha airport or Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) pick-up and drop off
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa fee
- Tips for mountain crew (guides, porters, and a cook)
- Laundry Services
- All items of a personal nature
The Trekking Gear for 2 Days Mount Meru Trekking Climb
For the Head
Sun Hat, Walking pole/s (optional), Sunglasses, Sunscreen (SPF 25+), Lip Balm (SPF 25+)
Clothes (No Cotton)
Wool or synthetic layer (1), Wool or fleece sweater, Wind/Water-proof jacket, Convertible hiking pants, Water-Proof Pants.
For the Feet
Thin sock liners (1 pair), Wool hiking socks (1 pair), Good- broken-in hiking boots or light boots, Gaiters (optional), Tennis shoes or sandals (for camp)
Zero degrees sleeping bag, Inflatable pillow (optional)
Day pack (no larger than 2,200cu), Water bladder 100oz/3ltr, Rain cover for the pack
Toiletries, Small first aid kit, Small towel, Wet wipes, Camera, Bug spray, Malaria pills, Flashlight/torch, Batteries, Cash for tipping, etc