Trekking Mount Meru
Mount Meru is in the heart of Arusha National Park, and it is about 80km (50 miles) west of Mount Kilimanjaro. Mount Meru is a massive volcano reaching an altitude of 4,566 meters (14,980 feet). Mount Meru the second-highest mountain in Tanzania, the third in East Africa, and the fourth in Africa located about 32km (20 miles) from Arusha City to Momella Gate (the park’s headquarters office) where the trek begins. Mount Meru is the perfect fit for acclimatization prior to climbing Mount Kilimanjaro due to its altitude acclimatization and hiking distances. This trek is also geared towards hikers that prefer fewer crowds and a challenging ascent.
As Mount Meru is located in Arusha National Park, hikers must climb with an armed ranger due to the wide range of wildlife living on the mountain. On the lower slopes of the mountain, hikers are more likely to see elephants, giraffes, buffaloes, warthogs, Black and white Colobus-Monkeys, Blue Monkeys, and sometimes the shy antelopes like bushbuck, suni, and red duiker; also some colorful birds like Hartlaub’s Turacos, Trogons, Silvery-cheeked Hornbills and so on!
The hikers will have spectacular views of Mount Meru Peak, Momella lakes, and Mount Kilimanjaro on this hike to Miriakamba. The hikers will sleep in designated huts.
Summary description based on this hike:
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Duration: 2 days/1 night
- Accommodation: In comfortable mountain huts on wood-bunk beds with thick foam mattresses covered with sheets. Note that a sleeping bag is needed! Please, bring one with you or ask us to arrange it for you at a low cost.
- The huts are with solar system lights.
- The meals will be in the dining hall.
- Bathrooms with cold showers
- Clean flush toilets
Day 1: Momella Gate (1,500m) – Miriakamba Hut (2,500m)
A description of the hike today
- Elevation; 1,500m/4,921ft. to 2,500m/8,202ft.; (1,000m ascent)
- Hiking distance; 10 km
- Hiking time; 4 – 5 hours
- Habitat; Mountain Forest
- Meals; Lunch, Dinner
- Budget Lodging; Miriakamba Hut
After a short registration at the Momella Gate, our walk will begin with a full-armed ranger escorting us on our hike. While on this walk, we expect to see wild animals like zebras, giraffes, monkeys, antelopes, and often, elephants along the route. Dinner and overnight night will be at Miriakamba Hut.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2,500m) to Momella Gate (1,500 m)
A description of the hike today
- Elevation: 2,500m/8,202 ft. to 1,500m/4,921 ft. (1,000m descent)
- Hiking distance: 10 km descent
- Hiking time: 2 – 3 hours ascent to park gate
- Habitat: Mountain (Montane) forest
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
After breakfast, you will begin your final descent to Momella gate. You will be using the southern route to descend. On our descent, we will pass through the montane forest, where we will pass by an attractive Fig Tree Arch. Upon arrival at the Momella gate, you will be picked up and transferred to your hotel in Arusha.
Note. Fortunately, on this 2-day hike, the hikers may choose to proceed with the game viewing drive within the park upon the descent until 5.30 pm for a little extra charge per person before heading back to Arusha or Moshi.
Please, let us know in advance if this is an additional tour of yours so that the costs can be inclusive!
- Transfers – to and from Momella Gate back to your hotel/lodge in Arusha
- All national park fees – entry fee, hut fee, rescue fee, armed park ranger fee
- All national park fees for the crew – guides, porters, and a cook
- Certified, experienced, English-speaking guides
- Salaries for the guide/s, porters, and cook/s
- All meals on the mountain – Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Filtered water throughout the trek
- Cooking equipment and eating utensils
- All government taxes, including 18% VAT
- Arusha airport or Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) pick-up and drop off
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa fee
- Tips for mountain crew (guides, porters, and a cook)
- Laundry Services
- All items of a personal nature
For the Head
Sun Hat, Walking pole/s (optional), Sunglasses, Sunscreen (SPF 25+), Lip Balm (SPF 25+)
Clothes (No Cotton)
Wool or synthetic layer (1), Wool or fleece sweater, Wind/Water-proof jacket, Convertible hiking pants, Water-Proof Pants.
For the Feet
Thin sock liners (1 pair), Wool hiking socks (1 pair), Good- broken-in hiking boots or light boots, Gaiters (optional), Tennis shoes or sandals (for camp)
Zero degrees sleeping bag, Inflatable pillow (optional)
Day pack (no larger than 2,200cu), Water bladder 100oz/3ltr, Rain cover for the pack
Toiletries, Small first aid kit, Small towel, Wet wipes, Camera, Bug spray, Malaria pills, Flashlight/torch, Batteries, Cash for tipping, etc